Saturday, July 25, 2009

I would like to form a group around The Presence Process...

Q: Would it be inappropriate to have a class using your book so that an interested group could go through it together? Do you feel that would violate the principles of the book or would that upset you? I thought it would be a good idea to go through the book with a group, but someone raised the issue that it was contrary to the book's ideas. Please let me know...

A: Read "Let's Not Form Another Group" on the Writings page of the website.

Q: Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. It's been a while since I read the book, but I remember now the thoughts on support groups. While this was not what I was thinking, I can see your point. I was just thinking that it's good material to get out there and I assumed no one would show up unless they were ready. I certainly want to respect your thoughts.

A: Don't take my word for it - form a group if you must - and then let all the egos that show up do their little dance of self-importance. Once you are sick of it - you'll move on. Remember, for this work in particular there is no group more authentic and efficient than the human beings surrounding us in each moment. Those who form "specialized spiritual groups" around this work only do so out of couched self-importance and unconscious projection of their unintegrated emotional charge upon others. And, they then attract those who behave the same. It is fun at first - but only at first. Then it gets really messy.
People also form groups around this work because they do not yet have the courage to get real within their authentic group - within their families, with their companions and with the people in their work place - so they form a "special group" as a cover-up. But that is all it is - re-covery - not discovery. If this "specialized support group thing" is a lesson you require to learning - you have my full support. I did this myself, and welcomed the teaching which comes with it.

Every religion is a group formed by people who don't have the capacity to face God just as God is - as being everything and everyone appearing to us in each moment. There is only one group - all of us.